|Monday, February 18th, 2008|
children of the revolution
Not sure if this com is still active, but I thought I'd give it a go.
This post will probably be fairly controversial. But it's something I can't get out of my mind, and I wanted to do something that might raise a bit of awareness. So, beneath the cut are 17 icons of child soldiers, as well as 8 icons of Ishmael Beah, a survivor from Sierra Leone who now advocates for other children caught in similar circumstances.New York City, 1998
My high school friends have begun to suspect I haven't told them the full story of my life.
"Why did you leave Sierra Leone?"
"Because there is a war."
"Did you witness some of the fighting?"
"Everyone in the country did."
"You mean you saw people running around with guns and shooting each other?"
"Yes, all the time."
I smile a little.
"You should tell us about it sometime."
---- from the introduction to A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
( 'This gun will soon belong to you, so you had better learn not to be afraid of it.' )
Please visit Invisible Children for ways you can get involved, and sign the petition in support of the Child Soldier Prevention Act here.
|Wednesday, February 14th, 2007|
These were all made by me with the use of the Icon maker located here
. If you use any of the icons, please credit in the 'comments' section of your usewrpics page that they were created by daharja
(me) and lechatron
is the creator of the LJ icon maker). If you're not sure, check out my pics page
for examples on how to do this.
AFAIK none of the original images of Gandhi used are under copyright.
|Wednesday, October 18th, 2006|
|Saturday, March 11th, 2006|
|Friday, January 20th, 2006|
|Saturday, November 12th, 2005|
This is a short advertisement for peacepledge
- a community for people all across the globe who are willing to take a pledge of peace in their lives.The Peace Pledge:
- Peace: I will work in my life for peace and understanding between all peoples.
- Ahimsa: I will not take any life - be it human or animal - nor will I allow others to do so in my stead.
- Gaia: I will respect the earth, which is our home, and support those who protect it.
- Honesty: I will not speak dishonestly about other people, spread rumours or dissent.
- Charity: I will help those who are in need and who suffer.
- Non-violence: I will not wage war or support it in any form.
- Respect: I believe that all religions are worthy of respect.
- Clarity: I will not take intoxicants in any form.
|Thursday, October 7th, 2004|
|Thursday, September 23rd, 2004|
|Sunday, August 22nd, 2004|
(crossposted to art_politics
Just your usual hero-worship.
Elizabeth Gurley Flynn
|Sunday, July 11th, 2004|
Sandino and Oscar Romero. I have to start on a PRC Boycott set next.
Hi! I'm sabotabby
, and I am an icon whore.
Kind of self-explanatory. Eat your ballot!
The next two were icons I made for my Most Offensive Icon Ever! challenge (which is still ongoing, by the way).
Some people have short memories, so I thought I'd remind everyone:
I nabbed this image from the conservatism
community. It originally said "Saving your ass...whether you like it or not."
My three opening icons:
Mother Jones: Labor Organizer
Dorothy Day: founder of The Catholic Worker movement
Emma Goldman: Anarchist with the apocryphal line "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Current Mood: accomplished